Brooke's World The life and ramblings of Brooke.

June 8, 2017

SensorBoard v2 final board test section complete

Filed under: Uncategorized — Brooke @ 9:33 pm

I wrote the test sketch for the SN74HC595 and it works.  All sections of the SensorBoard v2 have tested as working.  My next task will be to write some firmware that takes advantage of all 5 sections.  Two temperature sensors, FRAM, photo resistor, and shift register with 8 LEDs.


SensorBoard physical design issue

Filed under: Uncategorized — Brooke @ 9:15 pm

Thought I would share a design mistake for the TeensyBreakout w/ SensorBoard v2. It turns out it is a good idea to keep in mind the physical design of your boards when you plan to stack them. I thought I had done pretty well, until I needed to press the reset button! That’s right. It took some creative re-purposing of an ink pen by borrowing its refill to sneak in there and press the button. I am thinking the rev 3 SensorBoard needs to either have a hole that goes through every single “shield” or bring a reset button up to at least the Teensybreakout.


June 6, 2017

SensorBoard v2 bringup

Filed under: Uncategorized — Brooke @ 2:05 pm

I tested each of the Arduino sketches with the SensorBoard v2 on a Teensy 3.2 and they all worked. They covered both I2C temp sensors, the SPI FRAM, and the analog-read photoresistor ( values from about 20-1020 ).

The only chip I didn’t have a sketch written for yet was the SN74HC595 shift register. I am working on that sketch next.

June 2, 2017

Completed build of SensorBoard v2 for Contextual Electronics

Filed under: Contextual Electronics — Brooke @ 4:34 pm

I had time last night to work in the SensorBoard v2. I was able to laser cut the stencil, paste, place, reflow and visually inspect. Next stop will be to plug it in and test. During the fab downtime, I have been writing test applications for all the different sections. This should shorten my bring up time.

This board is a replacement due to issues  ran into where the copper was exposed outside of the pads that caused shorts to ground in many places.  It turns out that at some point, KiCAD changed a default setting which caused the issue.  You can read more about it on the CE forums.

Powered by WordPress